Friday, December 08, 2006

Scarves

Earlier this week I was thinking about crochetting scarves, and how long it takes, and how I find the simple yarns boring and the fancy yarns make me lose count. Then I looked at the scarf I'd been wearing for a while - fleece - and a lightbulb went off. A couple days of searching later, and I'd found a fabric store with a convenient sale on items! Solid color fleece that normally went for $8/yd was reduced to $4/yd, and I found a yard of black in the remnants bin, along with some fancy cloth that will make fancy scarves.

To make a fleece scarf:
  1. Cut to 12" wide (and as long as the fabric allows). Make sure the edges are straight and not ragged. (I'm a n00b, and don't have fancy equipment so this's a challenge for me.) If you're lazy, your scarf is already done.

  2. Measure around 4" from each end, and stick in a pin to mark it. This will be the tassels.

  3. Using a thread color that matches or contrasts (your preference of course!), hem up the long edges, and across the short edge where the pins are placed.

  4. Cut fringes/tassels into the unsewn ends, I make them around an inch wide, and stop cutting around 1 cm from where the thread is. Now you are done for my fancy version.

  5. Other options include making it double thick (if the pattern is one-sided), folding over the edges before sewing it up, and other forms of tassels.


The hardest part of this all was figuring out how the sewing machine worked. I'd last used it some 8 years ago...

I'm going to gift a few of these scarves to friends, but I'm going to have leftover fleece. Anyone ever try selling on eBay? I'm worried I'll waste my money posting about them and not actually sell any.

No comments:

Post a Comment